Thursday, October 22, 2009

Video Journaling as a Method to Increase Compassion and Love for Your Self

Video journaling is a very powerful way to allow yourself to recognize your own pain. You can’t lie to yourself, so doing this can be particularly helpful in breaking the cycle of numbness or disassociation you are feeling. The first few times you might find that you just sit there staring into the camera unable to speak. But give it time – the emotions will be released and you will be awakened to a new perspective of yourself. Video journaling is a great way to open up a greater sense of compassion for yourself – particularly if you’re the type of person who has a lot of compassion for other people, but not much for yourself.

The first time I made a video journal, I talked about what was causing me pain and since I was in so much pain and I felt so uncomfortable talking about it, there were many long pauses. I was aggravated with my inability to talk and felt a little silly doing this, but when I played the video back to myself, I was struck with a deep sense of compassion. Somehow, sitting there, watching my own face and looking into those delicate, yet incredibly pained eyes made me feel a great rush of love for myself. Suddenly, more than anything else in the world – I just wanted to help myself.

I would recommend against posting your video journals or sharing them with other people. They are intended for you to get to know yourself better and knowing that they will not be shared with anyone will make you more honest with yourself.

You can also create your own audio tapes with positive statements, prayers, messages, quotes that you love, journal entries you’ve written, or papers you’ve read that resonate with you. Hearing your own voice will help you c
reate more compassion and love for yourself.
 

Most laptop computers come with built-in video cameras and microphones, but if yours does not have these features included or you have a desktop then you can purchase an inexpensive set at Best Buy, Amazon, Radio Shack, Fry’s Electronics Store, or any consumer electronics store in your neighborhood.

0 comments:

Post a Comment